If you are a Converse All-Star lover like me, you know that it is inevitable that the shoe will get dirty at some point. Even though some people prefer the dirty and worn-out look of the Converse sneakers, surely you won’t wear your dirty and stained Converse with your linen summer outfit.
It is important to clean your dingy Converse from time to time and keep them in the optimum condition. If you are wearing a white or any light-colored Converse (which is preferred by many), you will get it dirty eventually as it acts as a dirty magnet.
Knowing how to clean Converse shoes is a big savior as you wear this versatile shoe with almost every outfit. I have come up with some effective ways that will tell you how to clean Converse shoes with ease.
So let’s start with all the methods I want to mention;
Ways To Clean Converse Shoes
Here are some effective ways that will help you to easily clean your dirty Converse without taking much time or spending much money.
Cleaning With Vinegar And Baking Soda
Cleaning your Converse with the mixture of vinegar and baking soda is a highly effective way, and it will make all the dirt go away. Apart from vinegar and baking soda, you will need a bowl, toothbrush, hot water, and a normal scrubber. Let’s start with the process;
- First, take the bowl, pour one spoon of baking soda and then add two spoons of vinegar to the bowl.
- Add the warm water to the bowl, and you should add slowly while stirring the mixture. The mixture should become a paste and not a watery mixture.
- Now take the toothbrush and carefully rub the paste over your Converse. You should brush the paste for some time, so it spreads all over the shoe and loosen the dirt.
- If you think the dirt is not going away, then you should rub more paste with the help of the toothbrush.
- Then clean it under running tap water, and you will see all the dirt is gone.
Cleaning With Baking Soda And Hydrogen Peroxide
If you mix hydrogen peroxide with baking soda, then it can help you clean your Converse shoe. However, before starting the cleaning process, you will also need warm water, a large bowl, gloves, and a toothbrush or application brush. Now, let’s see how you can do it;
- To begin the process, you need to first pour half a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide into the bowl along with one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Wear some gloves before applying them because hydrogen peroxide can cause burning feelings.
- Pour some warm water into the bowl and stir it until it becomes a paste.
- Now, take the application brush or toothbrush and scrub all the areas on the shoe until you think you have applied them properly.
- Allow the paste to settle for a minimum of thirty minutes, and it will become slightly dry after that.
- Now, take the shoe and rinse it with water. Make sure all the paste has gone.
Cleaning With Toothpaste
Cleaning Converse shoes with toothpaste is the most common method to make a squeaky clean body, and a lot of experienced users utilize this method.
The only thing you need is one toothbrush to accomplish the process and nothing else. It is recommended to use normal toothpaste that is white in color and nothing fancy. So here are the steps to do it;
- Hold your shoe with one hand, and with the other hand, apply the toothpaste on all the areas. However, you can also put them directly on spots that are dirty.
- Then take the toothbrush and slowly spread them over the shoes. Make sure you have covered every party, especially the dirty spots. Apply some pressure when rinsing the dirty spot, as it will loosen the dirt.
- Allow the shoe to soak for at least 15 minutes or until the paste becomes flaky in nature.
- Then put it under running water to rinse it thoroughly, or you can put them directly in a washing machine.
- In the end, just hang it to make it dry.
Cleaning With Nail Polish Remover
Another highly efficient way to clean dirty spots in your All-Star Converse shoe is by applying nail polish remover with the help of cotton pads. You won’t need anything else to properly clean your shoe. So let’s see how you can do it;
- Take a thick cotton pad and pour some nail polish remover in it. You can also buy acetone from a local store if you can’t find nail polish remover in your house. Don’t pour a large amount of nail polish remover or acetone on the cotton pad.
- Now scrub the dirty spots with the cotton pod and make sure you apply a good amount of pressure. You should be thorough with the process, or else it won’t remove the dirt and stains.
- Once you have cleaned your dirty Converse shoes, it is time to wash them in normal liquid soap water. You can even clean with running water, but it is better to use soap water for better effect.
- In the end, put them in the washing machine and allow them to dry. `
Cleaning With Bleaching Agent and Baking Powder
Using bleach to clean shoes is quite a common process, and you can also utilize it to clean the spots in your Converse. To accomplish the process of cleaning, you will need bleach, toothpaste, baking soda, lemon, a bowl, and a small amount of warm water.
You should opt for this only when there is an emergency, as it makes color fade. Here are the steps that you should follow;
Take an empty bowl and pour some bleach on them. 50ml of liquid bleach will be more than sufficient if you are cleaning only one Converse.
- Once you have liquid bleach, then put some toothpaste in it, followed by a tablespoon of baking soda. It is preferable to use normal toothpaste that is white in color.
- Now, add some warm water to the mixture and stir it until it becomes a paste. However, you shouldn’t make it very thick as it will become difficult for you to apply it. You can also utilize lemon as an alternative to bleaching liquid, as lemon has inbuilt bleaching properties.
- Take a toothbrush and put some mixture in it. Then apply it all over the shoe and try to scrub the area that has a thick dirt spot.
- Once you have applied and scrubbed the paste on the Converse, it is time to let it soak for some hours.
- The last thing you will have to do is rinse it with cold water, or you can wash it with the help of a washing machine.
Cleaning With a Mixture Of Laundry Detergent, Baking Soda, and Water
If you have baking soda and laundry detergent lying around your house, then you can even utilize their mixture to clean your Converse shoe. You can utilize any kind of laundry detergent to clean your shoe, but it is preferable to use a detergent that has less harsh substances.
The other things you will need are a toothbrush, water, and a bowl. Let’s see how you can accomplish the process;
- Pour one tablespoon of baking soda and laundry detergent into an empty bowl. However, if you have more Converse shoes to clean, you can increase the quantity.
- Then put some warm water in it and stir properly. After stirring it for a few seconds, the mixture will become a runny paste.
- Pour the mixture into the toothpaste and apply it all over the shoes, including the laces. Properly scrub the dirt spot with toothpaste so that it can vanish while you rinse the shoe.
- Once you have applied the paste, allow it to soak, and the time period will be between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
- Then put the shoe under running water to rinse it, or you can put it in the washing machine.
- After cleaning the shoe, hang it to make it dry.
Tips To Keep Your Converse Shoe Clean For Long Duration
If you love your Converse shoe like me, you can follow the tips I want to share to keep them in mint condition for a long time;
- It would be a smart move to apply stain protector spray on your Converse before you go out.
- You can apply a wax-based sealant to coat the outer area and prevent it from getting dirty during rain.
- Clean or replace the laces at regular intervals.
- Air dry the sneaker at regular intervals because it will help the fibers to recover.
- Always store your sneaker in a clean shoe box or cotton bag so that the dust won’t settle on the body.
- After each use, it would be best to clean the loose stains and dirt with a brush.
- Always wear breathable or high-quality socks because it will prevent the shoe from getting sweat stains.
- After cleaning the shoe, it would be best to use a microfiber towel to remove any moisture.
I’m hopeful that I have been able to adequately explain to you how to clean converse shoes. I have personally tested all the methods, and none of them have damaged the shoe. You can opt for any of the methods you like depending on the availability of ingredients in your house.
Hi, This is Jack Patrick. Since my childhood, I have been passionate about footwear, and I just love to study and research different types of footwear. This led me to build this blog. Our aim is to provide updated & in-depth information so that you can choose the right pair as per your requirement or problems. Lastly, the quote by Marilyn Monroe – “Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.”